Monday, January 28, 2008

Screw computer sequencing

I am a HUGE Ableton LIVE fan. Matter of fact I refuse to write in any other DAW now. It is for me, the end all-be all for creating electronic music. Although I cant live without this software now I often times miss the days of hardware sequencing.

For years I avoided the computer sequencing software revolution and stuck to my Alesis MMT-8 This sequencer was so solid and so tight. There really wasnt anything I couldnt do with it. Pushing and pulling tracks on the fly was a breeze and made build ups in songs so easy. Its simplicity made you think beyond the box and it forced you to experiment to get the results you wanted. Once you got to know it though it really was the best thing going.

You used to be able to find them in pawn shops all over with prices ranging from $50-$150 depending on the condition of the unit. The buttons on it often times needed to have their contacts replaced but this was easy to do.

One day Ill reconstruct my hardware studio in full and return to the glory of the MMT-8. Shit, maybe Ill do that sooner than later if only because playing live gigs would be so much fun rocking one of those. I once saw Autechre play live and they were using two on stage. I was impressed that they were using the same sequencer as I was.

No comments: